Memo to: All Current Vehicle Manufacturers
From: Erin Albert
Re: Not enough cars for women
To Whom it May Concern:
I have a Jeep Liberty. It’s actually my second Jeep Liberty, and my third Jeep overall in my life. Historically, I’ve dug the Jeep brand, and specifically the Liberty–because it’s a cool SUV, but it’s also girly. It looks like a kinder, friendlier Jeep. Nice.
I’ve had my current Jeep now for almost 10 years. It’s honestly time for me to buy a new one. However–no offense Jeep–the new Liberty model–is ugly. I can’t even candy coat it. It’s like a box on wheels. The Cherokee is kind of cool, but seriously – $30K for a new car is insane.
Also, I’ve had the opportunity to rent a few cars this year, and I’ve tried out some other brands. I’m just not in love with any vehicle these days. And if I am going to drop 5 figures on a car, shouldn’t I be in love with it?
I’m here to tell you, dear manufacturers, that your cars–are ugly. We need more cars for women and girls. And while I think the VW Beetle is awesome, it’s just not enough to cater to women across the board.
Here’s what we need for more girl power when it comes to car offerings:
1. Style – seriously – style shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. If Target can come up with cool items in their dollar bins, can’t the car manufacturers come up with cool features that cater to more women than men, considering women make the purchasing decision on a LOT of cars in this country? We need more cars with curves, specifically. One of my favorite features on the old Liberty is the light and grill configuration. It’s also a curvier car. I don’t get this from the Jeep boxes currently on the market. Also, I DO NOT MEAN offering a PINK car here, either. That’s not going to cut it.
2. Space – If I had a dime for every time I went elbow-deep into my ONE storage bin for lipstick or car wash tickets or a quarter to feed a parking meter and couldn’t find what I wanted–I’d be a rich woman. Women. Need. Storage. Give us some place to put our stuff in our cars!
3. USB ports – One bucket list item for me to one day own is a convertible. Right now, the front runner is the VW Beetle (as I previously gave a shout out to in this post). However, it doesn’t come with a USB port. REALLY, VW?!? Our smartphones with a USB port convert our vehicles into GPS-toting, favorite music-playing, phone-charging wonder mobiles–but not all cars have this option. It’s 2014. This should be standard, y’all in every car – or at a minimum an option.
4. Interesting color palettes – While exterior colors may vary, I’m thinking more of interior colors here. Can’t we get more than black, gray and tan?
5. Storage – Yes, this is a repeat of #2. It’s that important and worthy of repeat – I need a place for my stuff instead of it flying all over the place when I have to slam on the brakes.
6. Cleanable – I’m certain I’m not the only person on the planet who can’t seem to clean out all the garbage between the driver’s seat and the center console in my car. It’s too narrow a space to jam in a vacuum cleaner, but yet still visible enough to drive those of us who like our cars neat completely insane every time we peek down that slot. Make cars cleanable.
I could go on. I won’t. Suffice it to say – I’m not ready to drop 5 figures yet–until I’m in love. And I’m not in love. I’m not even dating. GM has a woman CEO behind the wheel now – let’s start seeing more variety when it comes to our cars, por favor!